Probation period can last up to 6 months.
Minimum Wage Requirements
There is no minimum salary stipulated in the UAE Labour Law, however it broadly mentions that salaries must cover basic needs of the employees.
Maximum working hours and overtime
The maximum working time is 40 hours per week.
The normal working week is from Sunday to Thursday.
- Maternity leave: employees are entitled to 45 days of leave including the time before and after the child is born. This leave is fully paid by the employer.
- Paternity leave: there are no statutory requirements of granting paternity leave, but is best practice to grant 7 days of leave.
In UAE, employees are entitled to up to 90 days of sick leave per year. The requirement to grant this leave is that the employee worked at least 3 months for the employer after the probation period ended. Sick leave is fully paid by the employer, but the percentage that the employee will receive will vary with time.
Employee's income while taking sick leave:
- For the first 15 days of sick leave - 100% of their salary
- For the next 30 days of sick leave - 50% of their salary
- For the next 45 days of sick leave - the employee will not receive any payment from the employer.