Employment Contract Details
All documents must be presented to the local authorities. Bilingual contracts are allowed and recommended.
Probation periods are determined by the type of contract the worker is engaged under and seniority. Probation period is mandatory in Portugal.
- Fixed-term contracts that last under 6 months can include a probationary period from 15 days to 30 days.
- Indefinite contracts can include a probationary period of 90 days.
- Indefinite contracts for senior management include a probationary period up to 240 days for senior management.
Minimum Wage Requirements
The Minimum Wage is EUR 665 per month.
Maximum working hours and overtime
Maximum working time is generally 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week. Hours above the maximum hours per day are treated as overtime and need to be remunerated with an overtime supplement.
Bonus and Expense Payments
There are 2 bonuses that must be paid in Portugal: 13th & 14th salary. This bonuses are subjected to income tax and social security withholdings.
To be eligible for paternity leave, employees must have contributed to the Portuguese Social Security System for at least 6 months. The Social Security System will pay 100% of the salary for the leave.
- Maternity Leave: 120 or 150 calendar days counted from the date of birth. The pay during this time is calculated and paid by the social system and can be extended up to 90 days.
- Paternity Leave: employees can take 20 days’ paternity leave within 30 days following the birth. 5 days of this must be taken consecutively immediately after the birth of the child.
Employees who have contributed into the Portuguese Social Security System for the past 6 months are entitled to paid sick leave after the first 3 days of sickness. The first 3 days are unpaid and considered as a qualifying period. The pay will be in charge of the state and will depend on the length of the sickness:
- From 3 to 30 days - 55% of base salary
- From 31 to 90 days - 60% of base salary
- From 91 to 1 year - 70% of base salary
- Over 1 year - 75% of base salary