Employment Contract Details
Contracts must be in writing and should include a termination clause. Agreements can be in English and should describe the position offered, place of work, basic wage, working hours, among others.
There is not mandatory period, however common practice is between 3 to 6 months.
Minimum Wage Requirements
The monthly minimum wage is RM 1,200.
Maximum working hours and overtime
Standard working hours is from Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week. Standard daily hours is from 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm.
- Maternity Leave: employees are entitled to paid leave for a minimum of 2 months if they have been employed for the last 4 months and have worked for the same employer for at least 3 months in the 9 months prior to childbirth. Maternity leave is paid by the employer, and the employee will receive full salary during this leave.
- Paternity Leave: employers are not required to provide paternity leave. However, is common practice to grant at least 3 working days of leave.
Employees are entitled to 2 months of hospitalization leave per year. A medical certificate is required under all circumstances. Sick leave is paid by the employer as a 100% of the salary.
If hospitalization is not required the amount of sick leave days will depend on the length of employment, which ranges from 14 to 22 days:
- Less than 2 years of employment - 14 days of sick leave
- Between 2 and 5 years of employment - 18 days of sick leave
- More than 5 years of employment - 22 days of sick leave