Employment Contract Details
It is mandatory to have the employment contract in writing. The contract must be in Chinese, and it is common to have an English translation.
The maximum probation period is 6 months.
Minimum Wage Requirements
Minimum wage highly depends on the region due to varying standards of living. There is no one minimum wage for the entire country. Beijing's hourly minimum wage is CNY 24 per hour while Shanghai's is CNY 22 per hour.
Maximum working hours and overtime
Maximum working time is generally 40 hours per week and 8 hours a day. However, there are local variations in different cities. An employee can only work a total of 3 overtime hours per workday and no more than 36 hours of overtime per month. The overtime payment rules are as follows:
- Overtime on a weekday: 150% of the hourly rate
- Overtime on a weekend or days off: 200% of the hourly rate
- Overtime on a public holiday: 300% of the hourly rate
- Maternity leave: Expecting employees are entitled to 128 days of maternity leave (depending on location). Additional days could be granted subject to the medical condition of the employee. Maternity leave is borne by the Social Security Bureau where the employee is enrolled and is compensated depending on the average level of income of the year prior to childbirth. It cannot exceed 3 times the minimum wage
- Paternity Leave: employees requesting paternity leave are most often entitled to 15 days, though there are specific requirements that vary by location.