Hire employees in China No entity needed.
Usually, to hire in China, your business needs an entity. That means a local office, an address registered as a subsidiary, and an account with a local bank. All of this, plus navigating regional benefits, payroll, tax, and HR laws, can take months.
China also treats contractors differently than full-time employees, so misclassifying a contractor could lead to fines. Deel lets you hire employees in China quickly, easily, and compliantly. We even automate tax document collection, payroll, benefits, and more.
All the necessary benefits for China built right in
Deel allows you to provide localized benefits for employees in China within minutes. All in one manageable online dashboard.
- Health Insurance
- Worker Compensation Insurance
Currency: Yuan (CNY)
Official language: Chinese
Payroll Cycle: Monthly
Paid Time Off
In China, employees are entitled to paid holidays based on the length of the labor relationship:
- Less than 1 year of service - The employee isn't entitled to any paid leave
- Between 1-10 years of service - The employee is entitled to 5 days of paid leave
- Between 10-20 years of service - The employee is entitled to 10 days of paid leave
- 20+ years of service - The employee is entitled to 15 days of paid leave
Public Holidays in China highly varies depending on the region. Usually there are 11 Holidays among which you will find:
- Chinese new year Holidays
- National Holidays
- Labor Holidays
- Golden Holidays
Individual Income Tax
The individual income tax depends on many variables, such as marital status, level of income, etc. The average ranges from 3% to 45%.
Approximately, 34.26% of employee salary
Employment Contract Details
It is mandatory to have the employment contract in writing. The contract must be in Chinese, and it is common to have an English translation.
The maximum probation period is 6 months.
Minimum Wage Requirements
Minimum wage highly depends on the region due to varying standards of living. There is no one minimum wage for the entire country. Beijing's hourly minimum wage is CNY 24 per hour while Shanghai's is CNY 22 per hour.
Maximum working hours and overtime
Maximum working time is generally 40 hours per week and 8 hours a day. However, there are local variations in different cities. An employee can only work a total of 3 overtime hours per workday and no more than 36 hours of overtime per month. The overtime payment rules are as follows:
- Overtime on a weekday: 150% of the hourly rate
- Overtime on a weekend or days off: 200% of the hourly rate
- Overtime on a public holiday: 300% of the hourly rate
- Maternity leave: Expecting employees are entitled to 128 days of maternity leave (depending on location). Additional days could be granted subject to the medical condition of the employee. Maternity leave is borne by the Social Security Bureau where the employee is enrolled and is compensated depending on the average level of income of the year prior to childbirth. It cannot exceed 3 times the minimum wage
- Paternity Leave: employees requesting paternity leave are most often entitled to 15 days, though there are specific requirements that vary by location.
Termination requirements for employees in
Termination is easily possible when a contract expires or by mutual agreement. Employers need to pay severance, and it's calculated according to the length of the labor relationship:
- Less than 6 months of employment - Half a month's salary
- 6 months to 1 year of employment - 1 month's salary
In China, the minimum required notice period is 1 month written notice to the employee and part ways with mutual consent. The employer may pay 1 month's salary in addition to the severance pay in case the employer does not want to serve one month advance notice period.
We have a 4.7 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot
We're trusted by over 1,400 businesses all over the world. Read our reviews on Trustpilot.com.
Deel is the best!!
“Deel is an amazing platform! It's super intuitive and user friendly, plus it runs suuuuper smoothly!! It has great options for paying and withdrawing money, plus it helps you keep super organized with your spending. They also have great support and are super friendly with all the questions you might have :D I would definitely recommend it!!”
A contracting life-changer!
"This has by far the singular tool that made my contracting work amazing. It used to be that contract management and payouts was a nightmare — Deel makes everything so easy especially with its Transferwise integration. Everyone gets paid on time and kept happy. I also contacted their support a couple of times for some small questions and they’ve been nothing short of amazing. If you’re a contractor or someone who hires contractors then definitely give Deel a go."
Great service offering!!
"The Deel platform has been super effective for my team and I and has enabled us to bring on workers globally. The platform allows us to onboard individuals seamlessly and with no issues at all. Highly recommend."
"Great service, amazing customer care, terrific platform, both for the company and for the contractors/employees. Saving everyone's time and money"
Deel is a game-changer for distributed teams
"Deel has been instrumental in helping us both open and operate our EU operations. It's super simple to set up and implement and the support team has been world-class. I can't recommend them enough!"
Great app with great customer service
"Great app with great customer service, with great attention to details and legal requirements. Looking forward to keep using it!"