How to Set up as a Self-Employed Professional in The Philippines

Back to blog
November 4, 2020
Hiring independent contractors on Deel
Hiring full-time employees on Deel
How do payments happen on Deel?
Deel is free for contractors
Deel pricing for companies
See Deel in action
You pay for Deel now, yes?
Try Deel
Back to blog

Working as an independent contractor in the Philippines has never been so profitable. The TRAIN law (Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion Act, also known as Republic Act No. 10963) came into effect in January 2018. It has considerably reduced taxes for self-employed individuals: they can choose an 8% tax rate instead of a 3% tax rate plus the regular tax rate. This article will guide you through the process of becoming an independent contractor in the Philippines.

Please note that required documents vary by cities- each Bureau of International Revenue (BIR) has its own set of requirements.

Disclaimer: This article doesn't constitute legal advice. Information in this article was collected from Filipino government websites and other online resources. Always check direct sources before you take action.

The registration process of an independent contractor to the Bureau of International Revenue

You have to register to the Bureau of International Revenue, an agency of the Department of Finance.

Secure an Occupational Tax Receipt (OTR) or a Professional Tax Receipt (PTR)

  • Some cities, like Makati, don't issue an OTR. If you are based in one of these cities, you can go straight to the next paragraph (getting TIN).
  • If you have a professional license, you must secure a Professional Tax Receipt (PTR); if not, you must secure an Occupational Tax Receipt (OTR).
  • To get a PTR / an OTR, go to your local Treasurer's Office with a contract copy from any of your existing clients.
  • Some cities, like Muntinlya, will also require you to secure a health permit before giving you your PTR / OTR.

Get your TIN (Tax Identification Number)

  • If you are transitioning from being employed to self-employed professional, your TIN is probably registered in the Revenue District Offices of your previous employer. In this case, you will have to go there to fill in Form 1905 and request a transfer of your TIN to the RDO of your current location.
  • If you've never been an employee in the Phillippines, you don't have a TIN yet. In this case, go to your designated BIR Revenue District Offices (RDO) and apply for a Tax Identification Number.
  • This process should take 3-10 business days.

Apply for Book of Accounts

To get your Book of Accounts, you are required to bring the following documents to your designated BIR Revenue District Office:

  • 3 filled-out copies of BIR Form Application 1901 (Registration for Self-Employed and Mixed Income Individuals)
  • A Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) birth certificate
  • A labor contract or company certification
  • Books for stamping
  • Your cash receipt journal
  • Your cash disbursement journal
  • Your general journal
  • Your general ledger
  • Your marriage contract, if applicable

When changing to a new Revenue District Office, you need to go back to your old Revenue District Office to ask them to transfer your records to the new one.

Payment of your registration fee

To get your Certificate of Registration in your designated BIR Revenue District Office, you have to follow these steps:

Apply for a Certificate of Registration (COR)

  • Secure your Book of Journals: 4 books for non-VAT (but some cities will require only 2 books). It will cost you around PHP 50 per book.
  • Attend the required taxpayer's briefing of Form 2303 (the BIR Certificate of Registration) and the "Ask for a Receipt" Notice
  • Use Bureau of International Revenue's Form 1906 to apply for Authority to Print Receipts and print 3 copies of the Form 1906.

Depending on the Revenue District Office, you will have to wait between 2 and 4 weeks to get your Certificate of Registration.


Here is an overview of the taxes you will have to pay every year:

  • Annual Registration Fee (BIR Form 0605): billed every January
  • Monthly Percentage Tax (BIR Form 2551M): on or before the 20th of the month
  • Quarterly Income Tax Return (BIR Form 1701Q):

Q1: On or before May 15 of the current taxable year
Q2: On or before August 15 of the current taxable year
Q3: On or before November 15 of the current taxable year

The importance of working in compliance with Filipino laws and regulations

Filipino laws apply even if your clients are based abroad. If you are caught not issuing an Official Receipt, the Bureau of International Revenue may:

  • penalize and charge you anywhere from PHP 30,000 to PHP 100,000
  • apply sanctions under the Oplan Kandado program
  • charge you with tax evasion, which is punishable by imprisonment

Use Deel to streamline your work

Deel has a team of experts that stay on top of compliance requirements for 100+ countries. Each country has its own regulations when it comes to labor law, contractor status, and documents and Deel implements them in the platform. When clients create contracts, they can request the contractor to submit compliance documentation as per their country's regulations.

Benefits of using Deel

  • Have a centralized platform that takes care of all the documentation such as contracts, invoices and compliance documents.
  • Manage payments in different currencies and withdraw with a payment method of your choosing (SEPA, PayPal, Payoneer or bank transfer).
  • Get 24/7 access to customer support and a team of experts.

Hiring remotely?

Legally hire anyone, anywhere in the world, run payroll in 100+ currencies.

Deel's partnered with 100+ labor law experts so you can pick from the library of localized contract templates and legally onboard your international teammate in minutes.

From onboarding to payroll, Deel team has you covered.