Back to blog
For contractors

How to Register as a Self-Employed in Anguilla

February 20, 2021
Hiring independent contractors on Deel
Hiring full-time employees on Deel
How do payments happen on Deel?
Deel is free for contractors
Deel pricing for companies
See Deel in action
You pay for Deel now, yes?
Try Deel
Back to blog

Anguilla is a British overseas territory in the Caribbean. It is well-positioned as a major player in the international arena, and it enjoys a high degree of political stability. Anguilla is a desirable location for small businesses because there are no forms of direct taxation, like income or estate, and it is a neutral tax jurisdiction. There are no exchange controls in Anguilla. The United States Dollar is commonly used, although Eastern Caribbean Dollar is the official currency.

In this article, we will explain the steps you should take to establish self-employment.

Disclaimer: Be aware that this article is not a substitute for legal advice. Please always check official websites or seek legal advice before you take action.

Who is Self-Employment in Anguilla

Often times, the following persons are considered self-employed:

  • Accountants, lawyers, doctors, architects, dentists, consultants, chemists, and engineers.
  • Persons who operate as directors, owners, proprietors, or persons who independently provide services of all kinds
  • Farmers
  • Fishermen
  • Street vendors and traders
  • Electricians, plumbers, carpenters, shoemakers, barbers and other technicians and skilled workers

A person can become Self-Employed if:

  • Over the age of 16 and under 65;
  • Ordinarily resident in Anguilla;
  • Operate a business of their own and not working under an employer;

Registration process of self-employed in Anguilla

Persons operating a business are required to apply to the Ministry of Finance for a business license.

All vacancies must be advertised before an application can be submitted. Application forms and Medical reports are collected at the Department of Labour. Completed forms are returned to the Department and must be accompanied by:

  • Copy of the advertisement
  • A complete work permit application
  • Birth Certificate and Passport
  • Police record covering the last ten years
  • Certified certificates as evidence of academic or professional qualifications
  • A recent medical examination report
  • Four passport-size photographs
  • Certificate from Social Security contributions stating that the employer is registered and their Social Security contributions are up to date
  • Business Licence
  • Tax Clearance

Ensure compliance with our localized contracts

Generate contracts in seconds. We’ll ensure that you're complaint with local labor laws, no matter where you live.

Learn more

All self-employed persons are required to register with the Social Security Board , by filling the Form SE 1, available at the Board's Office or website.

You will then obtain a registration card with the registration number and a Social Security Number. You should keep the card safe; if it gets damaged or lost, you should report to the Social Security Office for replacement.

You can read more about Social Security contributions on the Social Security Board website.

Self-employment tax in Anguilla

Self-employment tax is calculated at a 6% rate based on the total earnings. There is no VAT in Anguilla.