Need help filling in the W-9 Form? This article will guide you through the process. If you need a reminder of what this for is, here it is.
If you are a Deel user, you will be taken through the simplified flow, but the Form will match the official one.
This is how the W-9 Form looks like:
How to fill out the W-9 tax form
Please enter your details as they appear on your income tax return.
Filing W-9 Fom as an individual:
- Name: Enter your legally given name as shown on your income tax return.
- Business Name/Disregarded Entity Name: Unless you have a business name, trade name, or a disregarded entity name, leave this field empty.
- Check appropriate box for federal tax classification: Check only one box.
- Exemptions — If applicable, refer to exemption codes described on pages 3-4 of the W-9 form.
- Address (State, City, Address, Address 2, Zip) — For Address, include the building number and street name (e.g., "52 Market Street"). For Address 2, include the apartment, suite, unit, building, or floor number. The address must match your income tax return.
- Tax identification number (TIN) — For individuals with a social security number (SSN), the TIN is equal to SSN. For an overview of all valid TINs, please see the IRS's W-9 instructions or this article.
- Sign the Form with your full (legal) name and fill in the date of signature.
If you are not filing as an individual or have other special cases, please refer to the IRS's W-9 form for guidance.
Disclaimer: This article is to be used as a guide only and should by no means be considered as tax advice. Always check the official IRS website for the latest information, or seek legal advice.